Tragedy, occurred again in Lekki area of the state Thursday afternoon, when fire consumed a seven- month-old baby while her parents were away. It was said that before help could get to the baby, she was completely burnt beyond recognition, Speaking with Saturday Vanguard, the Director State Fire Services, Mr. Rasak Fadipe, narrated thus:” We received distress call at about 1 pm of a fire outbreak at Ikota Housing Estate, I quickly dispatched my men to scene of the fire incident.
The fire men later retrieved the charred body of the baby girl from the debris of the fire. “It was later found out that the baby was locked up alone in the house while the mother went out. The husband it was learned had gone to his usual workplace. “ Fadipe added that from investigation, the fire started from the kitchen before it spread to the room where the baby was sleeping and due to the effect of the choking smoke the baby must have died before the fire later burnt her.
He said it was one of the neighbours who noticed thick smoke coming out of the apartment before the fire service was later contacted for help. Fadipe, while commiserating with the family over the loss, therefore, cautioned Parents, especially, mothers from leaving their infant child or children at home alone without adult being around to take care of them as such action often leads to disaster such as loss of lives and property.
Fadipe, lamented over 18 distress calls involving fire outbreaks at residences occurred alone last Thursday, describing it as “alarming and unacceptable” in the state.