No fewer than 80 students have been displaced from their boarding house accommodation at the Don Bosco Secondary School and Youth Centre, Obolo Obosi, near Onitsha following a fire incident.
“It was a serious fire incident. Nobody can say exactly what happened or how it happened, but everyone was in school.
“We can only speculate about the real cause, but we thank God that no life was lost.
“About 80 students are housed in the two wings of the hostel; we cannot quantify the extent of damage as virtually everything the students had in the hostel was lost,” he said.
“The fire services would have reached here much earlier, but on their way, they discovered that they could not access the place because of bad road leading to this place.
“After meandering through the markets with all the difficulties, before they came here, we were already counting our losses.
“I think if the roads were good, they would have reached here much earlier.
“They made efforts as human beings but they could not jump, they could not fly, and that reduced the chances of rescue,” he said.
“The assistance we need is obvious, it is a private mission school built with the best intention, but the resources are not there like before.
“We need help from government, organisations and individuals to recover from this colossal loss,” he said.