A five-week-old baby was accidentally killed when her mother shared her bed with the tot.
Little Poppy Rose Powell died from a head injury after sleeping in the bed with her mother Hayley at the family home.
A coroner warned how Poppy’s death highlighted “the risk of babies sleeping with their parents”.Mum Hayley told how she fed Poppy in bed before falling asleep with the baby in her arms.
She said: “I had drank a few glasses of rosé with lemonade while watching TV.”
The inquest heard she gave her a 5am feed – but then overslept to be woken by her older son Ieuan.
“The next thing I recall was being woken by Ieuan saying: ‘Mum, we’re late for school. Mum there’s blood on the bed.’
“I panicked, placing Poppy on the centre of the bed. I knew something was terribly wrong.”
Poppy was taken to University Hospital of Wales, in Cardiff, by air ambulance but there was nothing doctors could do to save her.
The inquest in Newport heard Poppy was born a healthy 6lb 15ozs but had a “soft spot” on the back of the skull.
A post-mortem examination gave the cause of death as bleeding on the brain and an obstructed airway.
“This highlights the dangers of infants sharing a parent’s bed.
“I consider that the correct conclusion is that of accidental death.”