A California woman, 48 year old Elizabeth Smith is suing a hair salon, alleging that getting a shampoo at their beauty salon caused her stroke two weeks later.
Smith filed a lawsuit against the salon, saying that she was getting her hair shampooed at the Blow Dry & Hair Extension Bar in December 2013, when her neck was “hyper-extended” and lead to a stroke 2 weeks later that has had lasting consequences.
Smith alleged that the hyper-extension lead to “cut her vertebral artery,” according to court papers filed by Smith’s attorneys in December. Smith alleged the chair and shampoo bowl were “defective” and lead to the hyper-extension.
Smith told ABC News affiliate KGTV she wanted to raise awareness, since she still has a clot in her brain that could cause more damage.
“So I do live with that every night. I go to sleep wondering, will I wake up tomorrow?” said Smith.
Smith allegedly suffered a stroke on Jan. 5, 2014, nearly two weeks after getting her hair done.
According to her doctors report, they found signs on the 4th of January that she had an artery dissection in her vertebrae, meaning the artery wall had slightly broken. The injury could lead a clot to form as the artery repairs itself, however, if the clot breaks and goes to the brain it can cause a stroke called a “beauty parlor stroke” by neurologists.
The report also says her hands are unsteady and she couldn’t see with her left eye.
In response,the salon denied any negligence and alleged that she “failed to exercise any degree of care for her own safety and as a result proximately caused her own injuries.”
The case is still in court.
Dr. Warren Selman, Director of the Neurological Institute at University Hospitals Case Medical Center explained that when it comes to the term “beauty parlor stroke,” it is “definitely something that all neurologists know about.”
“Actually calling it a ‘beauty parlor stroke’ is relatively common in the teaching, it’s been reported quite a lot,” he said. “If you tip your head back and get numbness or tingling and your speech slurs,” that could be a warning sign of an injury, Selman added.